“Harry is exceptionally intelligent, and a pleasure to work with. His insight and strategy have been decisive in a number of disputes. I regularly recommend him to colleagues and clients.”
“I was extremely impressed with Harry Winter’s professionalism, expertise and advice regarding a tricky dispute with HMRC. Not only did he win the case for me, through his diligence and intelligent application of the law, but he also demonstrated genuine kindness and empathy towards me throughout. I shall be forever grateful to him.”
“Our clients are very pleased with him and he has proven to be diligent, enthusiastic, professional and is of course very bright.
Harry has a practice covering all aspects of Chambers’ specialisms across UK, EU, and international taxation. Before embarking on law, he read Classics and Sanskrit at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he obtained a Double First: wrestling with ancient texts readied him for the UK tax code. He subsequently gained an LLB (First Class) and then an LLM (Distinction), coming top of his cohort in both degrees.
He advises and represents both taxpayers and HMRC in a wide range of tax-related matters, as well as doing commercial litigation that involves a ‘tax angle’. Recently, this has involved advising on complex multinational estates, appearing in the Upper Tribunal, and litigation around unjust enrichment.
More generally, he litigates and offers opinions across the spectrum of commercial and private law, including cases in contract, tort, and equity. Recent work has included fraud, breach of contract, and rectification.
Outside of law and tax, his interests are largely linguistic and literary. He is familiar with Italian, French, Dutch, Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit and knows something of around a dozen others, but he finds friends and family only marginally more willing to talk about languages than tax.
Call to the Bar: 2018
- BPP University – LLM incorporating BPTC (Distinction; ranked first in cohort)
- City, University of London – LLB (First Class Honours; ranked first in cohort)
- City, University of London – GDL (Distinction)
- Magdalen College, Oxford – BA (Classics and Oriental Studies) (Double First Class Honours)
- James Bullock Scholarship from Oxford University
- Prince of Wales Scholarship from Gray’s Inn
- David Karmel Scholarship from Gray’s Inn
- Academic Scholarship from BPP University
- Academic Scholarship from City, University of London
- Academic Scholarship from Magdalen College, Oxford
- Pearson Prize for Family Law from City, University of London
- Chancellor’s Latin Verse Prize from Oxford University