“A star in the making”
Sam has a busy practice covering the full gamut of UK tax and commercial/chancery law. He is regularly instructed in the High Court and the tax tribunals, both unled and as a specialist tax and/or property junior.
Sam read law at St John’s College, Cambridge, where he was a scholar and came 6th in the University. He then studied for the BCL at Christ Church, Oxford, obtaining a Distinction and topping the year in Personal Taxation. At the age of just 22 he was offered teaching positions at both Oxford and Cambridge, and taught both land and tort law to undergraduates.
Sam’s experience of business, property and general commercial work makes him the ideal choice for complex litigation which involves issues than span beyond tax. He deals with tax issues that arise in all contexts, including sports law, professional negligence, insolvency, and judicial review. Recent instructions have come from significant UK PLCs, UHNW individuals, NHS Trusts and the former owner of a Premier League football club.
In a former life Sam trained as a chef. He also lived in Spain taking up a unique role which included both the law and Syrian politics. Now he spends his free time with his young family, finding that most often that his cooking skills are valued more than his knowledge of tax law.
Call to the Bar: 2017
- Christ Church, Oxford – BCL (Distinction) (top of the year in Personal Taxation)
- St John’s College, Cambridge – BA (Law) (6th in University)
- Wright Prize (for placing in the top 1/3 of Firsts in Law across the Cambridge year)
- Jacovides Prize (for placing top of St John’s College in Law)
- Quass prize (for being “a candidate of special merit, irrespective of subject”)
- Gray’s Inn Tax Chambers Prize (for the highest mark in the year in Personal Taxation on the BCL)
- Lord Denning Scholarship
- Hardwicke Scholarship
- McMahon Scholarship
- Marquess of Salisbury Scholarship
- James William Squire Scholarship
- Killik v HMRC (2023, decision pending)
- Ian Strachan v HMRC (2023, decision pending)
- Alan Fairley v St George South London Ltd (2023, decision pending)
- Chemidex Generics Ltd v HMRC (2022, decision pending)
- Putney Power Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 292 (TC)
- Jonathan Oppenheimer v HMRC  UKFTT 112 (TC)
- Kevin McCabe v HMRC  UKFTT 356 (TC)
- Gary Wagstaff v HMRC  UKUT 327 (TCC)
- Exclusive Promotions and Fox v HMRC  UKFTT 103 (TC)
- Yalcinkaya v Hassan  EWHC 2516 (Ch)
- Ernest Batten v HMRC  UKFTT 199 (TC)
- Acamar Productions Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 74 (TC)
- Höegh v Taylor Wessing LLP, Moore Stephens  EWHC 1451 (Ch)
- Higgins v HMRC  EWCA Civ 1869